8 Steps to a Bing Map and Directory Listing
In contrast, there are directories such as Google and Bing, the search engine giants that help us find “Italian restaurants near me” and “Lennox furnace service” and “post office”. These are free listing opportunities for your business. “We see clients getting about 10% of their organic (free) website traffic and 15% of their paid search traffic through Bing,” said Phillip Barnhart, director of client marketing services for Nehmedia in Austin, TX. “The organic traffic is anchored by the Bing Places entry.”
In this article I am going to walk you through the registration process for Bing Places, which will put you on the Bing map and in their directory listing.
1. Open your internet browser and go to www.bingplaces.com. If you have a Microsoft account, use it to sign in. If you don’t have a Microsoft account, sign up for one. You’ll need it to use Bing Places for Business. Once you have logged in, click the “Get Started” button.
3. If you are already in the Bing database you will want to CLAIM YOUR BUSINESS and review the information associated with your business, as it may not be current.
5. On this window you will select the category of your business. They will provide suggestions once you enter your information. Click on as many as best describe your business. Then select the main category. Click NEXT.
6. There are four more sections that Bing would like to have you complete. Include as much as possible so your business will be well defined to viewers searching for a business like yours.
- Phone Number
- Hours of Operation
- Photos of your business exterior, interior, products, services (min size 480x360)
- Social Media
7. The next page will ask you to enter your email address so Bing can send you a PIN to verify your business listing. Verifying that you own the business you are listing prevents anyone besides you or your authorized employees from editing your Bing Places listing.
8. You will receive an email from BING with a PIN number. Enter the PIN number in your BING Places dashboard to verify ownership of your page.
Now that your page is verified, internet searchers, especially those in your area, will be able to see all of your photos, contact information, hours and a map to help them navigate right to your door!